What lessons can I gather, the fruits of 9 months of happy yoga practice?
1. Better health- I've never felt better or healthier. Not even when I was playing tennis daily in Taipei.
2. Yoga classes averaging 3 to 4 times a week have gradually loosened my tight ligaments and given me more physical flexibility. But more than this but not surprisingly, I've become a non-meat eater (fish, eggs, veggies) , not only because I wanted eliminate my obvious abdominal fat, but probably because my mind and person slowly absorbed yoga philosophy (via Yoga Journal articles) of avoiding animal-based food because these are harming in nature. Animals are bread to be slaughtered for humans. Violent impulses are still lurking once in a while, no doubt, but my wife notices that I seldom have temper outbursts anymore.
3. Frustration is one department where yoga has helped. Buddhism teaches removal of desire for material things. This makes sense, more and more. Confine your goals to what you need rather than what you don't need but just want. Want v. need.
4. Advocacy for health through yoga as therapeutic exercise- If only unhealthy people ate less meat and exercised more, they would be healthier and live longer. So yoga has been around 5,000 years and many haven't discovered it? My office will soon have year-round yoga and my goal is for the best teacher from Fitness First to come be one of the pioneer teachers.
5. Dream- to retire soon and just yoga around! Like what my wife does now following the yoga classes of Fitness First.
No comments:
Post a Comment